PURPOSE OF JOB
I have been my son main’s carer since he was born. He is diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Condition and Severe Learning Difficulties. A Personal Assistant (PA) is required to support my son at home and in the community to develop his social skills, social understanding and independence. The PA will also support my son to access the community safely with me present. 2 PA’s are required at points to support my son safely if I am not present. I am hoping to recruit 2 PA’s.
The PA will support my son to develop his verbal and non-verbal communication skills. He uses echolalia to communicate and can say some simple phrases, but I hope to encourage more verbal communication.
My son can experience difficulties walking for long distances and also uses a disability chair to support his mobility needs.
My son will require support to keep clean and toilet via continence pads.
LOCATION: My own home and in the wider community, including swimming, Gravity Trampoline Park and a local park.
My personal assistant will be directed by and accountable to me in all aspects of their work. They must always ask what my son requires and not make assumptions about any aspect of the assistance he needs or how it should be carried out. The PA should not carry out tasks unless we have first discussed it.
My personal assistant will be required to do the following tasks and may be asked to carry out other tasks of a similar nature.
- Support my son with toileting and keeping clean via continence pads
- The PA must ensure my son is supervised at all times, he has little awareness of risks and requires a high level of support to keep safe.
- Support him to develop his independence skills by accompanying him on outings in the local community.
- Support my son to develop his verbal skills.
- Support my son to access the community safely with me.
- Some of my sons preferred activities are swimming, using a local park and Gravity. It is important the PA is happy to participate in these activities.
- My son has high energy levels and a great sense of humour. I hope to find someone who can build a strong relationship with him, who is patient, kind and caring and can keep up with him!
This is an overview and further information can be discussed at interview.