£9.43 per hour (rising to £11.74 for any weekend hours subject to funding approval)
Fixed Term until 31st August 2021, possibility to be made permanent depending on staffing and living situation in September.
8 hours per week (rising to 9-10 hours per week subject to funding approval, and up to 14 hours per week should colleagues need to self-isolate)
Statutory holiday pay included.
I’m Rebecca, a 27-year-old disabled queer woman and powered wheelchair user. I’m studying MSc Inequalities and Social Science at the University of Leeds and I’m seeking a Personal Assistant for maternity cover while I finish my course. I am based in Woodhouse, a 10-minute walk from the university campus. This role is not open to men. Applications from women (including trans women) and non-binary people are actively welcomed. Previous care experience is not necessary.
Current proposed hours are: Wednesday 10:30-11am, Thursday 5:30- 9pm, 2 hours for grocery shopping and 2 hours for cleaning at a mutually convenient time. However, these hours are flexible so if you can’t work these specific hours please do still apply. See below for a full typical weekly schedule.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
· Assistance with personal care including bathing
· Assistance with more challenging aspects of dressing eg. Buttons and shoes
· Preparing and cooking meals
· Assistance with grocery shopping and collecting medication
· Housework including cleaning, tidying and laundry
· Assistance with social activities such as going out for meals or to the cinema (This is likely to require the use of public transport).
· Must be willing and able to follow my Coronavirus policy strictly. You will be provided with a copy of the policy if you are invited for interview, but please contact me if you would like a copy before you decide to apply.
· Advanced level of spoken English
· Good understanding of a PA’s role in enabling choice and control for disabled people
· Excellent communication skills
· Good food safety knowledge and cooking skills; comfortable preparing and cooking meat
· Strong commitment to the principles of Equality and Diversity
· Must be queer friendly, willing to support me to go on dates and to attend LGBTQ events/venues
· Reliable, respectful, discreet, sensitive, friendly, and pro-active in the role
· Able to work quickly and efficiently, sometimes under pressure
· Flexible- willing to change working hours at short notice, cover for colleagues should they have to self-isolate and be contactable in an emergency
· Willingness to learn and develop
· Able to travel to work/ to do grocery shopping on foot or with a car to minimise the use of public transport
· Good intercultural awareness and communication skills
· Similar interests, especially in sociology, politics, literature, podcasts and/or TV.
· Experience of/ interest in challenging social injustice
Please note, smokers are welcome to apply, but you will not be permitted to smoke when working in my flat.
Typical weekly schedule (total between 3 PAs)
Tuesday: 10:30-11, 17:30-21:00
Wednesday: 10:30-11, 17:30-19:00
Thursday: 10:30-11, 17:30-21:00
Friday: 10:30-11, 17:30-19:00
Sunday: - 17:30-21:00
+ 4 hours to be worked at a mutually agreed time
Extra hours for social activities may also be offered
Please click the apply button. If I like your application, I will contact you within a few days for a brief Zoom interview, to start from 2nd June.