To support a young boy with special educational needs, organising recreational activities and days out on weekends and during term-time.
Location: Ormesby, St Michael, NR29
We are looking for a friendly, Support Worker/PA to support our 6-year old son for 2 hours a week on weekends and during term-time. You will be required to organise and take our son on recreational days out, such as going to the zoo, visiting the park, or playing in our garden. ‘J’ has been diagnosed with autism, which means he may struggle to understand the world around him and to communicate and socialise effectively at times.
Our son loves dinosaurs, sharks and crocodiles and has a happy, affectionate nature once you have taken the time to build a relationship with him. If you are interested in special needs support roles and working with young children this could be a highly rewarding post for you.
Duties to include:
· To be innovative and proactive in identifying opportunities for ‘J’ to learn and develop.
· Organising activities and recreational days out with out with our son.
· Encouraging our son to develop and maintain positive relationships and play with peers of a similar age.
· Helping our son focus and stay on track with activities he is less interested in or those requiring more concentration.
· Encouraging our son to express himself and communicate his thoughts and feelings with a wider range of people.
· To support our son in continuing to develop his speech, language and social skills.
Listed below are the skills, competencies and qualities that are essential and desirable for the post. My assessment of these, both on application and at interview, will be the main factor in determining if you are successful. Please refer to these when submitting your application.
· Understanding and awareness of autistic traits and behaviours essential.
· Previous experience in a social care role highly desirable.
· Previous experience working with young children highly desirable.
· Previous experience in a special needs support role essential.
· Driving license holder with own vehicle and appropriate business cover essential due to role and location.
Summary terms and conditions
· The rate of pay for this position is £9.37 per hour.
· You will be reimbursed for any agreed expenses incurred as part of the role
· Hours and times of work: 2 hours per week, working one day a week on the weekend and during term-time.
The post is subject to the following
· A satisfactory enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check, the cost of which will be covered by the employer.
· Satisfactory references from two referees, one of which must be your current or last employer.
· Completion of a satisfactory probationary period of 3 months.