Your working hours are flexible and maximum 6 hours per week.
- Your working hours and days are to be flexibly arranged between us, depending on child’s needs and requirements.
- My own home and in the wider community
Personal assistant will be required to do the following tasks and may be asked to carry out other tasks of a similar nature:
- Provide complete one-to-one support to the child at home and in wider community.
- Support to develop his awareness of health/safety and sense of road safety
- Support to access activities in the wider community to develop independence and social/communication skills
- Support and meaningfully engage child at home and involve in creative/learning activities.
- Support child to access social and leisure activities in the community
- Intimate care might be required
- The ability to plan and deliver activities for the child
- Any other request that I may reasonably make
PURPOSE OF JOB
A Personal Assistant (PA) is required to support my son, who has diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder with social and communication difficulties and repetitive play. We do not have family or any such support in the UK.
My son requires one to one support to access social activities, short breaks, wider community, at school and at home. PA support will give him the opportunity to build his social skills, better social awareness and meet needs including sensory. My son is a cheerful and energetic child and must be looked after every second due to less or no sense of danger and road safety.
The PA will support the child for up to 6 hours per week, this could be on alternate weeks or as per his needs. PA support for my son will give me an opportunity to do other household routines and errands, as I struggle to fulfil them due to demanding needs of one-to-one support and other childcare responsibilities. The PA support will involve meaningfully supporting the chid in our home environment and to do activities out in the community such as trampolining or social gathering for special needs children. This support will give him an opportunity to build life social/communication skills and things he enjoys independently of his parents.
- PA will be directed by and accountable to me in all aspects of their work.
- PA must always ask what I require and not make assumptions about any aspect of the assistance or care needs or how it should be carried out.
- A review discussion about work carried out/progress at the end of the week is expected (time for this does not count towards working hours).
- PA should not carry out tasks unless we have first discussed it.
- Any requests for holidays must be made at least 2 weeks in advance or at the earliest so alternative care arrangements can be made.
Experience of working with children on Autism Spectrum is desirable, including knowledge and understanding of appropriate support strategies.
Full UK driving license is essential.