JOB TITLE Personal Assistant
HOURS 4 hours per week flexible to be arranged between us.
Rate of Pay £9.18 per hour
LOCATION Our home and in the wider community
PURPOSE OF JOB
We are looking for a PA for our 7-year-old son Theo, who has downs syndrome, epilepsy and other health needs. The rate of pay is £9.18 per hour, there is a package of 4 hours per week, ideally these hours will be fulfilled on a weekend, either weekly or fortnightly can be arranged; we are also happy to be flexible. There may be occasions to provide extra cover during the school holidays.
As his PA you will help him engage in social activities, including attending clubs and giving him opportunities to do the things he enjoys. There may be occasions where support is required on family days out.
Experience and understanding of learning disabilities is essential. He requires one-to-one support specifically in the following areas:
· Assistance in personal / intimate care, as he is fully incontinent this will entail frequent nappy changes.
· He is nil-by-mouth so therefore fully tube fed, meaning PEG/Gastrostomy training will be essential.
· His epilepsy is managed but Epilepsy care and training will be essential.
· He is basically non-verbal but has limited communication through Makaton sign language – as you get to know him you will very quickly understand him better.
· He can walk but tires very easily and is unstable as well as unaware of danger, when left to be independent, so requires constant supervision. He has the use of a wheelchair/specialist buggy when required.
· A driver is desirable, he has both a Blue Parking Badge and companion bus pass.
He loves to be outdoors and is very sociable, he enjoys ball games and messy play.
Our son is precious to us and is a joy to be around, so we are looking for someone to develop a relationship with him that is mutually beneficial. We feel it is important for this to be more than a job and the ideal applicant will feel the same.