UKCIL Job Reference: a52eea6b
Job Title: Personal Assistant
Hours Per Week: 10
Rate of Pay: £9.18 per hour
Location: Family home / possible local community in Wakefield WF3
To support an 11 year old girl who has a spinal cord injury.
I am an 11 year old girl who was born with a spinal cord injury. I am paralysed from the chest down and am a full time manual wheelchair user. I am looking for a personal assistant to help support me and my parents at home. This will include tasks such as personal care, moving and handling, showering, dressing and performing day to day tasks. I have just started secondary school and am aiming to become more independent and to learn to do more things for myself. I have a tracheostomy, so some knowledge of tracheostomy care would be desirable, but not essential.
I am looking for someone who is kind, funny, understanding, sociable and able to relate to a child my age. I am a very typical 11 year old, able to communicate well verbally, so it is important that we develop a good bond and that I feel comfortable with you.
I might also require support with social and leisure tasks. Some hours might be to support me to visit places away from home.
My personal assistant will be directed by and accountable to me and my parents in all aspects of their work. They will always ask what is required and not make assumptions about any aspect of the assistance I need or how it should be carried out. I am really good at telling you exactly how I like my care to be carried out, and what I like / don’t like.
- Personal care
- Gastrostomy care
- Some support to access interest and hobbies
- Supporting with everyday tasks such as meal preparation, going to the shop, getting ready for bed/day
- Supporting and monitoring healthcare needs
- Supporting the learning of new skills
- Moving and Handling training
- A full , clean driving licence
- Experience of carrying out personal care tasks
- Experience in gastrostomy care and tracheostomy care (desirable)
- Experience of working with children of a similar age