Carer required for Cali, a six year old girl with physical and learning disabilities as well as health conditions.
The role will involve providing care, activities and companionship to Cali as well as doing some domestic tasks.
At times you may accompany Cali and one of her parents to medical appointments and on trips out.
We would be particularly interested if you have a clean (or nearly clean!) driving license and would be happy to pick Cali up from school once a week in our car.
The job will involve personal care.
Full training will be given.
Cali is a happy child who is loved by all who know her. She smiles and laughs a lot and can be great fun. She enjoys sensory activities, playing with her toys and getting out and about.
Cali was born with a serious chromosome condition. She is developmentally delayed, non-verbal, non-mobile and has a number of medical conditions. She cannot talk though she can communicate!
Cali needs help with all aspects of daily life. She is tube fed via a gastrostomy, needs suction, does not toilet independently, has regular medicines and cannot move independently.
During the winter months Cali is often unwell with colds and chest infections and needs extra support during this time, most winters she spends periods of time in hospital.
Cali was required to shield during the March lockdown. Although this time round she doesn't have to shield, we are very cautious about Covid 19. We would require the successful applicant to be able to work in a Covid safe way, which would include wearing a mask.
Although experience working with disabled children is helpful, full training will be given.
Rate of pay: £9 an hour, paid monthly by BACS transfer.
This role is funded by Bristol City Council who have awarded Cali 8 hours a week of care. We use the hours flexibly depending on whether it is term time or holidays and on how well Cali is. You might not work 8 hours every week but it will average out at 8 hours a week. This role could be shared between two people.
Please note - the cover we need at the moment during lockdown is different to our normal requirements. Currently we are looking for 9.30-3.30 on a Wednesday and 2 hours on a Saturday and/or one pick up from school a week (Cali is at attending school 4 days a week during lockdown). There is some flexibility in this.
Once lockdown lifts we are looking for:
- Termtime 3.30pm -5.30 - 2-3 days a week ESSENTIAL
- Day work during the school holidays ESSENTIAL
- Weekend work DESIRABLE
- 1 pick up from school a week DESIRABLE
- The occasional evening DESIRABLE
- If funding allows, the occasional night DESIRABLE
- 1 day every 6-8 weeks to help make blended food for Cali DESIRABLE
Personal Qualities and Attributes Required
- Understanding of the ways family life is changed/affected by having a disabled child.
- Ability to work sensitively in someone’s home
- Patient and empathetic personality
- An ability to pick up on non-verbal communication
- Attention to detail
- An ability to follow precise instructions where appropriate as well as being able to work creatively and use own initiative when needed.
- An ability to value Cali and respect her autonomy
- To be able to safely lift and move a child who is currently around 15 kilos
- Basic food preparation and cooking skills
To support Cali with all her care needs, this includes:
- Giving blended food, liquids and medicines via her gastrostomy
- Preparing blended food and putting it in syringes.
- Getting Cali dressed and undressed
- Suctioning of NPA (Nasal Pharyngeal Airway)
- Putting in a hearing aid
- Moving and handling Cali safely (Cali weighs around 15 kilos)
- Personal care (see below)
To provide Cali with entertaining activities, this includes:
- Setting up a fun play area and helping Cali interact with it
- Putting her in her supportive chairs and standing frame and offering activities
- Helping Cali do stretches and physio exercises
- Reading books
- Providing choices of what she wants to do and allow her time to make a choice
- Taking Cali for walks
To offer companionship
- To form a relationship with Cali so she feels entertained and valued
To offer support to allow the whole family to do activities:
- This will include helping prepare for and accompany on outings/medical appointments with one or both parents and Cali’s sister.
- Staying at home with Cali so the rest of the family can do an activity that Cali is unable to do.
- When appropriate, spending time with Cali’s younger sister so that Cali’s parent/s can focus on Cali, for example when she is unwell.
- Spending time with Cali in hospital if appropriate so parents can have respite.
- Changing nappies (Cali is doubly incontinent)
- Assisting Cali on the potty
- Dressing and undressing
- Cleaning teeth
- Washing the syringes used to administer food and drugs
- Ensuring the area worked in is clean and tidy before leaving
- Helping to prepare batches of blended food
- Storing supplies that have arrived in the house in the correct place and doing stock checks.
- The majority of the “Personal Qualities and Attributes”
- Sufficient strength and fitness for the role
- Willingness to undertake a new CRB check
- Serious candidates that see themselves staying in the role for a very minimum of 6 months
- Background in care work
- Experience of children with similar needs to Cali – this can be professional or lived experience
- Clean driving license
- Happy to go swimming with Cali
Please get in contact with any questions firstname.lastname@example.org